This article is the fifth part of our self-learn series. This article explains how academic staff can perform their daily tasks by using Sqayy CMS and provides readers with an initial setup checklist that must be performed before academic module can be utilised. The initial setups in Academic should be performed after completing the initial setups in Finance. Once the initial setups in Academic is completed, kindly read Self-Learn Exam.
User would no longer have to keep student information in a spreadsheet. This demolishes the practice of having different list of students according to departments. All departments will have the same list of students. Academic staff will not have to worry whether the attendance list is up-to-date as all students records are synced.
The academic module has most of the system's automation function. For example, system will automatically calculate student grade once marks are keyed in. System will also auto calculate student attendance and send attendance warning if they reach a certain percentage. Besides that, system will automatically change a student's academic status based on CGPA/GPA.
Because of this, the settings for academic module is quite elaborate. Although this is true, most of the settings in academic are already preset according to MQA requirements. However, user is strongly advised to go through the settings.
Daily tasks refers to processes that must be performed by academic staff on a daily basis. Take note that the tasks in this article do not necessarily match the SOP of a campus.
As an academic staff, user is responsible to . The list of tasks are like so:
- Offer courses by faculty for an academic session - Courses must be offered before user can create classes for the course. This should be done before an academic session begins. Courses are not offered based on multiple factors such as shortage of lecturers, lack of facilities or shortage of students.
- Create a class - User can create classes easily. Classes can also be duplicated.
- Add students to a class - Once a class has been added, staff needs to add students to classes. User can copy the list of students from classes that already have students.
- Record class attendance - Staff can record class attendance in real time through staff portal. This makes it possible for a campus to abolish the practice of printing attendance sheets on a daily basis. Management can set the dateline for attendance entry. If the dateline is due, lecturers will not be able to key in attendance.
- Update class attendance - Attendance keyed in can be updated. If a student is absent from class on Monday, staff can update attendance record if the student gives an MC on the following day.
- Record assessment marks - Assessment marks can be keyed in once lecturers have graded student's assessment or observed students.
- Update assessment marks - Assessment marks can be update. This is usually done after senate meeting. Management can disable this feature.
Initial Setups Checklist
In Sqayy CMS, a single module such as Academic is dependent on how other modules were configured. This means that the settings in General, Finance, Admissions and etc are related to how well the academic module can function. As an integrated system, user needs to perform initial setups that are not in Settings > Academic before academic module can be rolled out.
Refer to the table below for the initial setups that must be completed in the correct sequence before user can proceed with using academic module:
|Settings > Academic||Faculty|
|Settings > General||System Preference|
|Settings > Admissions||Document Types|
|Settings > Academic||General|
|Academic Status Rules|
|Credit Hour Completed|
|Settings > Finance||General|
|Academic Session Billing Date|
|Chart of Accounts|